Friday, March 14, 2008

Chikungunya outbreak in Sri Lanka rages on

ProMedMail reports that the chikungunya outbreak in Sri Lanka is ongoing. The number of cases mentioned is the same as in an earlier report.  The importance raising of public awareness and insanitary conditions [ample breeding sites] are cited in the current report. While these are undoubtedly important, I hope that the response to the epidemic is not left solely to the affected public. Isolation of infectious patients from bites of susceptible mosquitoes and immediate and major reduction of the adult and larval mosquito population by all available means is the only solution, unless the authorities want to let the epidemic run its course.


2 comments:

Bréjn said...

Hello there! When did you plan to inform me about this blog of yours, hm? Great idea anyway, I'll check back regularly. Greetings from Hungary!
Zsuzsanna

Anonymous said...

I got chikungunya on my last trip to sri lanka, worst two months of my life, and i was in a western hospital. pity the poor who have to go through it without proper care.